Saturday, October 1, 2011

Revealing the Truth

On September 15th we had our semi-annual improv show entitled, "Whose Crown is it Anyway?" (We're the Kofa Kings, got it?)  Our drama teacher has been gracious enough to put this production in my hands, and so after a few weeks of rehearsing and prep, we were ready to go.  Unfortunately my camera lost power after 20 minutes, so below was not the main highlight of the evening, but still one to enjoy.


We were all a bit more nervous this night because we knew our Principal was going to be in the audience.  I encouraged the kids to stayed focused, remember all that we'd rehearsed, and most of all, keep it appropriate!  The entire show was just over an hour, and aside a minute or two of slowness, we entertained like professionals.  For the last game I chose a winner, and G and I did a game of Whose Line.  I wish we'd captured the scene, because by the time we were done, without any foreknowledge or previous rehearsal together, at one point on stage we both became squirrels!  It was hilarious.

I got a note from our principal the next morning, a nice half-page, praising us for what we'd accomplished, admitting she was still laughing.

Last weekend a number of us visited AWC for their "Matadors of Comedy."  It was fun, but being a college, it was rude and crude.  I don't think one has to be dirty to be funny.  Another high school in town had an improv night this past week, and my students who attend really enjoyed it, but agreed we may have a leg up.  I don't write this to boast, but rather to interject that I'm accepting the praise and compliments that have come my way.  Improvisation is one of my strengths, and so is teaching it.

Our improv night was the climax of Theatre in our Schools Week.  The kids played games at lunch including pin the teeth on the zombie, a little Karaoke, and taught the school how to dance and do the Time Warp.  They also dressed up like characters all week, and just promoted the awesomeness that is Theatre.  For the last day our club officers made capes for all of us, including the sponsors.  As such, for the entire school day, my true identity was finally revealed; no longer Mr. Kelly, I became Darth Kellyious.
And yes, I'm aware I look more like Rick Moranis than Darth Vader.

No comments:

Post a Comment